Kolcraft Play Yard Recall after Child’s Death
On September 27, 2007, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Kolcraft Enterprises, Inc. announced a voluntary recall of approximately 425,000 infant play yards, following the death of a 10-month-old child. Twelve different Kolcraft play yards are involved in this recall. A restraint strap that forms a loop beneath the changing table on the product poses a strangulation hazard, and one play yard has a risk of suffocation.
Kolcraft received one report of a child being strangled on the changing table’s restraint strap that was hanging in front of the play yard. The company has also received 45 other reports of children rolling to the side of a rocking cradle attachment, which could trap the child against the side of the cradle.
Play yard models affected by the recall include:
- Kolcraft Travelin’ Tot, Kolcraft Travelin’ Tot LTD, Kolcraft Travelin’ Tot 3-in-1, Kolcraft Travelin’ Tot 4-in-1: (18730T-BZ, 18730T-HJ, 18734T-DV, 18934-SW, 18934-DV, 18935T-UT, 18935-CH, 18942-EC, 18950-GV, 18950T-GV, 18751-DV, 18951T-GS, 18951T-MO, 18744-BL)
- Carter’s Lennon Travelin’ Tot: (18740-UE, 18740T-UE, 18736T-LJ, 18737-LJ, 18737T-LJ)
- “Sesame Beginnings” by Kolcraft: (22361-VT, SP001-SBK)
- Jeep Sahara SE, Jeep Sahara Limited, Jeep Sahara XT, Jeep Sahara Limited SE, Jeep Sahara Limited XT: (55235-JC, 55237-JQ, 55237T-JQ, 55237-XC, 55237-XV, 55237T-XB, 55770-XA, 55770-XI, 55772-XE, 55773-XY, JP002-XSP)
- Contours 3-in-1: (18604-OC, ZP003-MAL)
Consumers are advised to stop using the recalled play yards, changing tables, and rocking cradles immediately and contact Kolcraft for instructions on receiving a free non-looped replacement strap for the changing table and a free repair kit for the cradle. The existing restraint strap on the recalled products should be cut off immediately. The company can be reached at 888-655-8484.